Sweet n' Tangy Pork Chops

>> Thursday, March 5, 2009

I got this recipe from a fellow blogger. All I know is that her name is Mary. She often posts food centered blogs and her recipes always have an interesting name. So, this one appealed to me because they're pork chops and I liked the word 'tangy'. I have an obsession with needing to learn how to cook pork chops properly. So I force pork on Steve. I've had good pork chops in the past. All made by others - chefs & home cooks. I've experienced tender delicious chops so I know it's possible to make a regular pork chop into something fantastic.

The 1" chops I purchased were on sale and that made me happy. They came two in a package. They were also beautiful. Perfect looking center cut chops with the bone in. Nice pink color. Mary's recipe wasn't difficult to follow at all. The only real preparation involved the sauce. The ingredients are as follows: Tomato sauce (the kind in a can - not a prepared sauce), packed brown sugar (ours was hard as a rock and I couldn't incorporate it into the sauce so I used sugar in the raw), cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt (I used celery seed and added salt because I didn't have any celery salt), ground nutmeg (mine was freshly ground) and I'm assuming she meant black pepper. So I browned the chops on both sides and added the sauce and let it simmer for a bit. And that's it!

The result. *deep breath*. Okay, I don't want to criticize this recipe because I didn't follow it correctly. As you know now, I switched around a lot of ingredients. I also played around with the amount of sugar. I didn't (and still don't) know whether brown sugar is sweeter (or less sweet) than the sugar in the raw. So I totally blew that measurement. I used less but it wasn't enough. The sauce was really sweet or maybe it was supposed to be that sweet. I'm uncertain. Another concern was the celery salt. I've never used it before and therefore I don't really know how it tastes. As for Steve. I should start by saying that he doesn't love pork chops. He says they're too tough and chewy. He did, however, admit that my chops were better than they have been in the past. I thought the texture was pretty good. It's not tender like if you were eating a steak and I understand Steve's commentary. But I don't mind. I kinda like the texture. So for me, I pat myself on the back for not overcooking them. The sauce. I didn't love it. There wasn't that much tang but alot of sweet. It was reminiscent of a sweet n' sour sauce but with less sour. And every now and again, I'd hit a celery seed and wondered if it belonged there. It wasn't an undesirable taste but unexpected. On the side, I served Spanish rice. Camilla brand, I think. I messed up the rice. Steve's been on a mixed vegetable kick. You know, the very common carrots, peas & corn combination. Anyway, when we go to our salvadorean restaurant El Dorado (Brewster, NY) - they sometimes serve their rice with those veggies in it. Well, not only did I overcook the rice, I added too much of the vegetables. Steve ate his with butter and didn't complain. He was kind to me last night even though I knew I'd messed up dinner. I didn't put up a pic because the meal was a little cheesy looking. I want to thank Mary for giving me the opportunity to try her recipe. In the future, I'll be sure to stick to the recipe and not attempt to substitute which I believe is the whole reason why my dinner failed. Oh well. So today, it'll be my mission to Eat Something Good!

2 comments:

sharlee March 5, 2009 at 12:52 PM  

I think the best tasting and most tender pork chops are rib pork chops. They're probably the equivalent of a beef ribeye steak. I like the regular pork chops better than the thick pork chops or the thin pork chops because they're easier to cook. Both the thick pork chops and the thin pork chops are easy to overcook.

I sometimes buy pork chops from Trader Joe's that are guaranteed to be tender. I think guaranteed tender pork chops might be brined. I've brined thick pork chops before and they turned out tender and I like my pork cooked well done.

I keep brown sugar in a ziplock freezer bag in the pantry. It stays soft for a long time. If it does get hard I microwave it to soften it. You can look on the Internet for different ways to soften brown sugar.

I use celery salt when I make Bloody Mary's. Celery salt is finely ground celery seed mixed with a fine ground salt. I don't think celery seed would work well unless you ground it up.

Anonymous March 6, 2009 at 12:47 AM  

brown sugar has a different flavor than sugar in the raw. You would've been closer if you had added a bit of molasses to the sauce instead of the sugar. Celery seeds are not the same as celery salt, although if you had ground some up it might've been a passable substitute.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP