Basic Mac n' Cheese

>> Monday, December 15, 2008

Every Thanksgiving I make some form of macaroni & cheese. I'm never satisfied with how it turns out so I'm on the eternal search for a good recipe that doesn't necessarily use tons of different cheeses. That'll rack up the cost for sure. So I felt inspired. I felt inspired by asiago cheese. I like it lots but it's a little strong. I only used like 1/2 cup. The other two cheeses: extra sharp cheddar and monterey jack. I used regular elbow macaroni for this one trying to keep with the basic theme. I made a roux (butter & flour mixture) and added a quart of whole milk. Once it thickened a bit, I added the three cheeses that I had Steve grate. Yey! Then I poured the cheese sauce over the macaroni already in the baking dish. On top, I sprinkled more of the cheese mixture. Oh, I forgot. I grated some nutmeg into the cheese sauce and I did season, however, I should've gone stronger.

The verdict. Mmmm. Last night I thought to myself. Wow, I found a basic mac. And I was all happy. Steve loved it. I wanted to give a piece to his mom but he frowned and I quickly figured out why. He loved it so much that he wanted to save it all for himself. *giggle* The macaroni was cooked very well. Perhaps a tad overdone, I don't know. The top was nicely browned in places. And it needed a little salt. Once you hit it with salt, the dish opened up quite a bit and it was nice. Yey! Macaroni & cheese!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP