Dish Gourmet Eatery

>> Monday, December 29, 2008

Steve's mom treated us to birthday lunch. They're only two days apart. I would've never noticed the eatery tucked in the back had she not pointed it out. It was a little place with only five tables. They had several more chairs at the open counter. The menu was quite surprising. The chef, supposedly a female graduate of a culinary school, created the menu. I'm usually not keen on tons of strange ingredients making up a meal; I'm more of a down home girl. Anyway, her creations, combinations, sounded very interesting. There's was one ingredient in particular that appealed to me. Clementine oil. I've never heard of it, nor have I had it. The closest thing I can think of is orange flower water. *shrug*

Here's what I ordered. To start, I had a spinach-asparagus-lemon soup. It was bright green. Like an algae green. It was pureed smooth like a split pea but it had little bits of what I concluded were the shreds that came off of a stalk of asparagus. The bottom part. The woodsy part you are supposed to discard. Later it occurred to me that it may have been lemon grass. I will never know. Steve's mom had them strain the soup at my suggestion. The woman has no qualms about using the staff fully. I sorta with I could be more like that. I suppose, at times, I am. Regarding the soup. Needless to say that it wasn't the best soup I've had. It would've been okay had the asparagus shreds thing not happened. Still though, I must admit. I didn't love the flavor of the lemon in it. I think they used some sort of lemon oil which sat atop the soup. I expected a little hint of sour from the lemon but didn't get any of that at all. What I got was a very fresh, lemon zest ee kinda taste. Yeah, I was neither expecting it nor did I love the combo. Also, it needed quite a bit of salt. The soup sorta tasted 'green' like its color.

For the main entree, I had the hanger steak. I was a little surprised and disappointed by the cut of meat. They look like sirloin steak tips to me. It was one fat, 4-5" piece served with oven-fried potato wedges with the skin on. They used little potatoes. And a pretty good salad of mixed baby greens, a vinaigrette, half grape tomatoes and capers. It may have just been a lemon and oil dressing without vinegar.

The hanger steak. I did a little research on the hanger steak and they looked like steak tips to me although I couldn't find anything that said for certain that they are one and the same. So what seemed like steak tips, well, I eat them. I like them. But I don't love them. And it occurred to me that what I was expecting was a beautiful and flavorful flat-iron steak. I wish they offered that instead. The potatoes were beautiful. I didn't even use ketchup. (By the way, this place is sorta retarded in that they don't just bring out a bottle of ketchup. They give you a small, measured amount in a ramekin. That's how they served it to Steve for his cheeseburger.) The salad was light in flavor but a little heavy on the oil. It wasn't a "heavy" oil like extra virgin olive oil tho.

So, I didn't love this experience but I'm glad that I had it. I'm still up for going back and trying some more items on the menu. Oh for dessert, Steve and I both had a chocolate dream cup cake. The frosting was piled high. Steve's mom suggested that it may be chocolate mousse, but when I asked the waitress, she said she thought it was butter cream. Either way, it was delicious next to the dark chocolate cake part. My conclusion. I must learn to try new and very different things because it ups my chances to Eat Something Good!

Dish Gourmet Eatery
947 S Lake Blvd
Mahopac, NY 10541

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP