Trader Joe's Frozen Food Review

>> Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Last night we went a little crazy at dinner. We decided to make it a frozen food night and sampled some of Trader Joe's food. First we had their Roasted Vegetable Pizza. And it was sorta like a pizza except there was no cheese. I was skeptical at first and I was wise in doing so. The pizza is a thumbs down for me. First a highlight. The crust. It's the best pizza crust I've ever had - amongst frozen pizzas. The dough looked like it was about 1/4" thick. And the bottom had a nice crisp that lead into a well-risen dough. It was just the right texture. Soft and semi-light and not doughy. Now if you were to put sauce and cheese on that, I'd have given it a high rating. I just wasn't loving the caramelized onions. Way too many and way too sweet. The shitake mushrooms & red peppers didn't do too much to help either. My favorite little nugs were the artichoke hearts. But they weren't plentiful.

Despite the lack of cheese, it was a lot more filling than we had anticipated and we thought twice about heating up the lasagne just as I put it in. We decided to go ahead with plans. The thing took about an hour to heat completely so we had some down time. Unfortunately, a jar of salsa and blue corn tortilla chips (yes, Trader Joe's...) were calling to me and I had myself a little munchfest. Steve busted me. Then he joined me. We were bad.

So the lasagne, Roasted Vegetable Multi-grain lasagne. Steve really, really, really liked it; I thought it was okay. Left to my own devices, I would not buy it again. But because Steve likes it so much, I know it will be dinner again some time soon. And I don't mind. It had a lot of tomatoes in it and lotsa veggies like broccoli bits, cauliflower bits, grated carrots..And the multi-grain part wasn't too bad. At worst it was too slimy and mushy. At best, it was a nice thickness of lasagne noodle with a little chew. The flavor, to me, was masked by all those darned tomatoes. Oh, there was a little bit of mozzarella cheese on top. So, nay on the pizza. And okay on the lasagne from me; really, really good from Steve.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP