Marie Callender's

>> Monday, November 10, 2008

Remember TV Dinners? I used to love the chocolate brownie dessert they used to have in some of them. Anyway. I was wondering. What do they call them today? Steve suggested frozen entrees whereas I just call it frozen stuff. Well, whatever they're called, I think Marie Callender's makes some very good ones.

We each had two dinners. I had the Meat Lasagne (with ricotta & mozzarella in a hearty marina sauce) and the Meat Loaf and gravy (with creamy mashed potatoes and vegetables (green beans, carrots & corn.)) Steve had two of the Fettuccini with Chicken & Broccoli ( which is chicken breast in creamy alfredo sauce.) They were both of decent size and portions. Oh, and they were on sale. 2 for $4. That's a great value especially for Marie Callender's.

I enjoyed the meat loaf though it could've used more brown gravy (with mushrooms & onions supposedly - I didn't see any.) The meat had a good texture and thickness. They gave you two nice pieces. The mashed potatoes were creamy in texture, but not flavor. It, like the meat, needed salt. The vegetables were good. I liked them. They looked and tasted fresh. The lasagna, on the other hand, was not good. I was disappointed. It had a good amount of beef and pork. Ya know, sausage ee, fennel ee flavor. The sauce. I didn't like. It was a deep red with both dried basil & oregano. I generally don't like that herb combination. They were sparing with the ricotta & mozzarella cheeses. All in all, I will not buy this again even if it's on sale. (It tasted a little like Stouffer's (orange ee/ red box) lasagna which used to be pretty good but is now not so good. Ick.

When Steve and I were at the checkout. The cashier commented on how good the ones Steve got were. And I tasted it. With a little salt, it was pretty darn good. Nice pieces of tender, white meat chicken with not overcooked broccoli and a not too rich alfredo sauce. I liked it. Next time, I might want to buy one for myself. Steve, of course, loved it. He really enjoyed it and got quite full eating two servings.

Alrighty guys, you don't necessarily have to cook to Eat Something Good!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP