Soy-Marinated Steak Tips

>> Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Steve used to work up at Stewart airport. It was like construction management or something. They were building the new control tower there. It was sorta neat. I got to drive one of those bobcat things or bulldozer...I don't really know what it was. Steve tells me all the time but my memory always fails me. Anyway, his boss that we affectionately refer to as "uncle *insert name*" introduced Steve to steak tips. At least he introduced him to the idea of it. Neither of us had ever had them. Supposedly it's very popular in Boston. Anyone?

I used Sirloin streak tips. ( Remember they are big, long, fat strips of meat.) For the marinade, I threw together some olive oil, soy sauce (not the super dark kind but the lighter japanese kind), sugar in the raw, ground ginger, garlic powder, dried thyme, dried rosemary and freshly ground black pepper. I didn't want to add extra salt because, as you know, soy sauce is already salty. I put the marinade into a zip top plastic bag and shook it up so the contents mixed well and so the sugar would dissolve. (Sugar in the raw tend to be large granules.) I threw in the Sirloin steak tips whole and let it sit out for about an hour to marinade. (For those not in the know, red meat (like steaks) can sit out for about an hour before cooking - that's what I was taught.) To cook it, I used the broiler. I put the steaks on one of those wire rack things to keep the meat elevated so it wouldn't sit in its own juices and therefore not brown well. I served this with plain basmati rice and corn (frozen Bird's Eye.) Oh, and I served the sirloin steak tips whole. One strip is about six inches long and an inch thick. I know I'm repeating myself here.

The verdict. It was pretty good. I would've liked it to have been a little sweeter. I must go a little heavier on the sugar. Ok. But otherwise, Steve enjoyed it. He wasn't raving about it but he said it was good. The meat came out nicely. Steak Tips tend to be a little chewier if you don't cook it to well done so that's what I do. And nice little brown and burnt spots appeared. And the rice was nice and fluffy and the corn was sweet. All in all, it was a good meal.

Sidebar: I made an error in the first paragraph of my last blog 'Melts'. The correct version was that the tuna went with american cheese; Chicken went with provolone cheese. I apologize for the confusion it may have caused.

Other than that kiddies, Eat Something Good!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP