Stouffer's Veal Parmigiana

>> Friday, November 21, 2008

Last week I bought a couple of frozen dinners. I normally try to eat only Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers. (I'm biased against Healthy Choice because when they first came out and I tried it - it had no flavor. I was not pleased.) Being off my healthy'ish kick, I decided to buy Stouffer's (the red box.) And with all the calories it has to offer. I was surprised. It wasn't too bad. 430 kcals. I can live with that as being my total caloric intake for lunch.

The veal parm was actually a breaded patty. Yes, a patty. Less than an inch thick. I thought it was pretty good sized. Steve loves veal patties. And one day we decided to try a super cheap brand that happened to be on sale. They were made by On-cor or En-core. I don't recall. I still see it in the supermarkets. Anyway, as you may have already guessed, it was pretty gross. Stouffer's veal patty is thicker and it's topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. (I don't remember seeing any cheese on the other brand's.) On the side, they gave you spaghetti with marina sauce.
.
Stouffer's veal parmigiana. The idea of a veal patty is unappealing to me. Nonetheless, I got a craving. Once I came to terms with its texture, I was alright with it. I actually enjoyed the flavor of it. It tasted like it was breaded with one of those italian herb-cheese flavored breadings. I didn't love the spaghetti. I expect frozen (or canned) spaghetti to be overdone. I knew it going in. And though I didn't love the flavor of the sauce (which tasted like Prego with that dried basil & oregano combination that I don't love.) Don't get me wrong, I love oregano but I prefer it in Greek dishes like chicken oreganata over italian dishes though it definitely does have a place there. So the sauce, didn't love it but that's just me. But for some reason, when I was eating it - I would twirl a little pasta onto my fork and then stab the veal patty and tear off a piece - when I was doing that, I didn't mind the sauce at all. It worked for me. So once in a while, I'll be buying Stouffer's veal parmigiana if it's on sale. I usually only buy frozen foods when they're on sale. This was a nice change from sandwiches for lunch. Ok guys, you don't have to cook to Eat Something Good!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP