Tomato Sauce

>> Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ok, I have to start by saying that I goofed in my last blog regarding sauce making. I added two bulbs of garlic, not just two cloves. And I forgot to mention the most important ingredient. Anchovies. Yes, that's right. Steve introduced me to the idea. He obtained the idea from some old Italians who have clearly acknowledged that anchovies were the way to go. The little fillets melt away in the oil. And there's no fishy taste to the sauce, it just adds another layer of subtle depth. In a couple of hours, I'm starting on the second batch. I'll be chopping up 25lbs of plum tomatoes and then heating them up til they soften so that Steve can food mill it when he gets home. Tomorrow night, more canning. It's a labor of love. We've been up til 1a every night making sauce. It's worth it!

I was so psyched that we have our very own sauce that I made thin spaghetti and meat sauce. This time I got the meat from our local little store. They butcher their own meats there. And though, it's ground chuck, it's much leaner than you would find in the grocery store. So I sauteed some garlic and bay leaves and browned the meat. Next I add the completed sauce. Then I hit it with freshly ground nutmeg. That's key. S & P of course. To celebrate this monumental meal, I bought a nice loaf of seeded italian - also from our little store. We were loving dinner. I even put butter on my bread. I went all out. So guys, Eat something good!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP