Greek Festival

>> Monday, September 15, 2008

For dinner, we went to a Greek Festival held by the church Steve used to attend many, many years ago. His mother is Greek which makes him half-Greek. So I was under the impression that little old ladies were gonna cook up a storm and make pastichio (a baked, pasta dish) and moussaka (a baked pasta and eggplant dish) - both delicious - But there was hardly any food there. They offered gyros, souvlaki and hot dogs and desserts. I was not pleased. I was in the food orgy mode. It also didn't help that it was like a thousand degrees out and super humid. I was a little miserable. We bumped into Steve's cousin and girlfriend. And we went around together. I think I sweated the whole time.

For dessert I had galacabourico. I think I botched that spelling. It's my favorite greek dessert. It's like a custard filled, pastry'ish thing. The last time I had it was at this new Greek restaurant. It was so good that I never forgot about it. When I had the opportunity to have some last night, I was sooo psyched. Unfortunately, it was only ok. OH, and the gyro I had was good except it could've used a stronger yogurt sauce (tzatziki) or with more dill and garlic and cukes. It was a little bland. The best part of eating were these things called loukoumades. There was a super long line and wait for them. But I have to say it was worth it. They're these egg-sized and shaped desserts. They are deep fried and served with a honey or maybe it was just sugar - syrup, powdered sugar and cinnamon. They are simple and delicious. Light and airy. They were sort of like the Greek version of zeppolies, the Italian fried desset. So that was the festival.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP