Campbell's Cream of Mushroom

>> Sunday, October 12, 2008

We had some leftover egg noodles from goulash night. So Steve and I brainstormed about what we could possibly do with it. He requested dishes like turkey tetrazzini and chicken a la king. I don't recall having ever eaten either of them except that I do fantasize about turkey tetrazzini around Thanksgiving time. We decided to do something like chicken a la king. I read one very easy recipe that included cream of chicken soup. I've cooked with canned condensed soups before but I was never that fond of it. At best, it was edible and okay I guess. I came across more complicated versions of the dish but Steve poo pooed it and wanted the easy dish with the condensed soup.

So I went to CVS to pick up some stuff and I went to their food aisle. All I saw was cream of mushroom soup and decided to go with that. (I didn't feel like making a second trip to the grocery store.) Mushrooms were an ingredient in many of the recipes I looked at. So, with chicken a la king in mind I made something. In a medium sauce pan I added the soup with white wine, chicken stock and dried thyme. I sauteed chicken (small'ish pieces) in a heavy skillet (what we call our everyday pan) and added the sauce to it. Finally, I added some frozen peas.

I could taste the wine and chicken stock within the thick but not too thick sauce. And the egg noodles mixed in perfectly with the dish and that made me happy because it didn't go to waste. It went to my waist instead. Ha! Okay, so that wasn't very funny. To go with this meal, I made a simple spring mix salad with grape tomatoes and sliced red onion. I had it with fat free thousand island dressing. Steve passed on the salad and had a second serving of the chicken dish. Overall I was happy with the meal. Eat something good!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP