Greek Salad with Chicken

>> Thursday, October 23, 2008

Last night I made Greek Salad with Chicken. Okay, so it wasn't exactly a greek salad. It was more of a mish mosh. The only things that made it greek were the feta cheese and stuffed vine leaves. We bought it at a Indian grocery. Usually I buy stuffed grape leaves. More like the greek kind. These tasted similar and perhaps they were grape leaves though they didn't specify which is weird. So the salad. It consisted of a european salad bag thing, thinly sliced red onion, grated carrots, crumbled feta cheese, stuffed vine leaves, spanish manzanilla olives (would have preferred kalamata), and I think that's it for the veggies. Oh, I also grated some lemon zest over the whole thing. Notice how I completely forgot two main ingredients: cucumber and tomato. When have you ever seen a greek salad without them? I never have. Oh well.

For the dressing, I took Maille dijon mustard and mixed it with red wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, sugar in the raw, oregano and s&p. The sugar cut the tartness which is exactly what I need when I'm working with red vine vinegar. It's super acidic tasting to me. Major pucker factor.

The chicken part. Olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, s&p. White wine during cooking. I baked it for 25 minutes at a 350F. It turned out perfect. I'm getting much better at cooking chicken. Well, using the oven I am. I still tend to kill it stovetop or grilling outdoors. I cut the chicken into good size but bite sized (for a fairly big mouth...hehehe) pieces and put it on top of the greens and vegetables. Then I tossed the whole thing in the red wine vinegar dressing.

The verdict. We both enjoyed the salad. The carrots and the sugar in the dressing leant a slightly sweet taste to the overall salad. And the olives added a nice salty, juicy burst. We felt healthy last night. Steve got stuffed. I ate one big plateful and that was enough. (It was a pretty big plateful.) Sid got some chicken too and he scarfed it up. Ok, do like we do and Eat Something Good!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP