Mohegan Diner

>> Saturday, October 4, 2008

Early on in my relationship with Steve, we frequented the Mohegan diner. We had to drive a little further than the diner closer to us, but the Mohegan's food is much better. I remember blogging about how diner prices are rising but portions getting a little smaller. Steve and I were nearly shocked when we saw the prices of even appetizers. Like up to and over $10.

The food. We were going to get our Mediterranean salad with steak. We've had it many times in our past failed attempts to eat healthier. I know, red meat - not healthy. We were just glad it had something green in it. Hehehe. Anyway, the best part is the taramasalata. I'd never had it before: I'd never heard of it before. Fortunately Steve's Greek side came in handy and he knew what it was. It's like fish eggs, perhaps salmon based on its color mixed into a very smooth, creamy and fluffy mashed potato. It's texture is so light that I didn't even think potatoes were involved at all. I kept thinking that it was some sort of whipped dairy product. Yeah.

When the waitress came to take our order one of my default choices came out of my mouth. I ordered the Kos Island wrap which is a hot wrap with grilled, marinated chicken, feta cheese and spinach. I had it once before and had a positive experience so out of my mouth it came when pressed. I got french fries for it. It didn't come with fries. Tell me how crazy that is in a diner not to serve fries with sandwich type things. Their fries were good. Steak cut wedges with the skin on. Steve commented that they didn't give me very many fries but I actually couldn't finish them. Steve even had some. Steve, planning on ordering that salad, decided to change his mind after he'd heard my order and got a regular stand by meal. I can't tell you how many times he's ordered a cheeseburger (no fries) and 2 eggs over with well done home fries and toast. He said the home fries were good. I could see the golden brown crust on the top layer of fries. His burger looked even a little too medium for me. Nearly rare. That was weird because after we'd ordered Steve realized she didn't ask him how he'd like his burger done. And we had a conversation about how it doesn't matter what you say cause it always comes out well done. I offered to give my half wrap to Steve and that I'd eat the burger because he gets upset if things aren't cooked enough. He's not a well done guy. He's a medium to medium well guy. I'm a medium girl myself (occasionally medium rare). He didn't say anything to me regarding the offer and happily tore into his burger. I think that meant he was liking it. To imagine, I wanted an appetizer before this meal too. We passed only because they were ridiculously expensive. And I had intentions to eat strawberry cheesecake for dessert.

Well, I was so full that I passed on dessert. Then Steve convinced me to get it so we could split it but he wanted chocolate cheesecake. I wasn't keen on the idea for some reason. I feared it wouldn't be chocolately enough. Diner desserts are usually just okay. Then we agreed on getting a plain slice. When the waitress came back, he ordered cheesecake...with strawberries! :) That made me so happy and Steve and I inhaled it. We needed that blast of sweet. We had dinner past 9p and I hadn't eaten anything all day. I think I just made the kcal cut off. Phew. Have a nice Saturday and Eat something good!

Mohegan Diner
1888 E Main St
Mohegan Lake, NY 10547

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP