Swanson's Swedish Meatballs

>> Monday, October 6, 2008

It was frozen food night yesterday. My mother used to buy these swanson dinners. The small ones. Not a full meal. This was back in the day that frozen foods came in tin (or whatever metal it was) trays. One side had meatballs in brown gravy and one side had mashed potatoes with some butter on it. Or something that mimicked butter. My mom has an aversion to ovens. Everything she cooks (which she seldom does) is stove top. Everything. And half the time it's fried. Anyway, she used to take the metal tray of food and heat it directly on the burner. Gas. Yes, with flames and all. Tell me how crazy that is.

So the swedish meatballs. I got them hoping they'd be like the ones my mom used to get but they weren't. I might have to say that they were better. It was Stouffer's (regular) swedish meatballs with pasta (fettuccine) in a sour cream sauce. I actually really enjoyed it after I hit it with some salt. Well, as you might have figured, one was not enough to satisfy my hunger. The next one I had I got out of the healthy section. They push it as being all natural but not low in calories. They were, however, low in calories. Only 170kcals. It was called Ethnic Gourmet which made me laugh a little. Don't know why exactly. Anyway, it was chicken tandoori with spinach served with brown rice with peas. Even though I wasn't really in the mood for indian food, it was good. They were pretty sparing with the chicken and it didn't quite meet my expectations for a good tandoori. I've only had it fresh from the tandoori oven with that oven ee flavor. The rest was good. The rice with peas surprised me a little. It wasn't at all wet or mushy. And though the super dark green color of spinach in indian foods sometimes frightens me, it always tastes pretty good.

Steve's selections were as follows. They were both Banquet Select Recipes. One was a smothered burrito served with rice and beans and the other was an enchilada combo meal. I tasted both. They were edible though I would never buy it again for myself. Steve was really digging it though. He liked the smothered burrito better than the enchilada.

We grazed all afternoon on bad for you things like pop tarts, kettle corn, chocolate...Things of that nature. Whatever you do today, Eat something good!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP