Hungarian Goulash

>> Thursday, October 9, 2008

I slaved away at the stove yesterday. I made hungarian goulash. It's one of Steve's top 3 favorite dishes. I always save this dish for the fall and winter. I seldom make it in warm weather. Well I suppose most people don't do stews during the summer. Anyway, this one's really simple. Few ingredients. The basic goulash is just stew meat (my store prepackages hunks of meat (i think chuck) and labels it as 'stew meat'), lotsa yellow onions, tomato juice, paprika and s&p. Sautee the meat in a heavy pot with a combo of butter and olive oil. Get it nice and browned and set aside. To the drippings, add the onions and let it cook down good. Throw meat back in, cover with tomato juice and add paprika and s&p. Simmer for three hours.

You wouldn't believe how yummy the stuff is. I swear. The meat breaks down til it's fork tender and the sauce takes on a delicious beef and tomato flavor. A buttery tomato flavor if you can imagine that. Some goulash recipes call for veggies. I throw them in at the last 1/2 hour of cooking. I usually throw in chunks of potatoes (with the skin on), one green pepper cut into strips and Steve's favorite part, the zucchini cut into thick'ish rounds. I serve the goulash atop extra broad egg noodles. This dish is a winner if you have the time to keep an eye on it. Eat Something Good!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP